pwcom.co.uk Ltd is a specialist PR, marketing and construction technology consultancy founded by Paul Wilkinson.
Paul has been working in construction industry marketing and public relations since 1987, with some of the sector’s best-known names in professional services and information technology. He is also a leading authority on the use of construction collaboration technology platforms.
Today, his PR and marketing communications expertise includes:
- PR and marketing strategy, including web 2.0 integration
- media relations (news releases, feature writing, crisis management)
- event management (from traditional seminars and conferences to ‘hybrid’ events)
- research, copywriting, editing and production of publications (annual reports, brochures, case studies, data-sheets, award entries, etc)
- internal and client communications (newsletters, intranets, events, e-newsletters)
- website development
Paul’s technology expertise includes:
- analytical insights regarding construction collaboration and related technology markets – eg:
- analyses for M&A or investment due diligence
- market entry strategy, technology trend reports
- competitor analysis, vendor profiling, etc
- case study and white paper research and production
- conference presentations and lectures
He is actively involved in several UK industry organisations and communities including:
- the Chartered Institute of Public Relations, where he is a Fellow, Council member, chair of the construction and property special interest group (CAPSIG), a trainer, and an Accredited Practitioner
- International Building Press
- Constructing Excellence, where he is a Collaborative Working Champion, a member of the steering group, chair of its social media working group, and provides support for the G4C early career professionals group
- the Institution of Civil Engineers, where he is deputy chair of the Information Systems Panel
- COMIT (Construction Opportunities for Mobile IT), where he is a member of the management board
- Be2camp, a social media advocacy movement for the built environment, which he co-founded in 2008
- the Be2Awards – Paul organised the world’s first social media awards for the built environment in 2011
A track record of PR and marcoms achievements
While completing a doctorate in criminology at the London School of Economics, Paul Wilkinson ended up in the construction industry almost by accident, taking a temporary post in the marketing department of the Halcrow Group in 1987. During seven years here, he helped launch the house magazine Halcrow Now, ran PR and internal communications programmes and produced numerous annual reports and brochures as well as the group’s glossy 125th anniversary publication.
In 1994, he was recruited to head PR for the professional services division of Tarmac (later Carillion), overseeing PR, publications, websites and internal communications across more than a dozen businesses during a period of major corporate changes.
Leaving Carillion in 1998, Paul established his own consultancy business, working for clients including HBG Construction, the Building Centre Trust, Greenwich Enterprise Board, pcm, the CAM Foundation, the Construction Best Practice Programme, and from early 2000, BIW Technologies.
By mid-2000, Paul had been recruited by BIW and as part of the core management team helped propel the software developer to the forefront of the UK’s expanding construction collaboration technology market, winning the 2006 Building Entrepreneur of the Year award along the way.
In the spring of 2009, Paul re-established his consultancy business, undertaking projects for clients in the following main areas:
In December 2010, Paul was announced Best Social Media Individual in the Sustainability Now social media awards. In February 2011, Paul won the award for Best AEC use of Twitter in the inaugural Be2Awards.